Despite my predilection for posting more on the indie/pop/synth side and for conducting interviews, I do have an eclectic sense of music. (Also, I feel that other our other genre’s are covered enough by awesome writers that there’s no need to really throw my hat into that arena.) The following mix featured here crossed my ears by way of the man himself, Justin Ner aka DJ Nerstylist. Though the mix has been in circulation for a quick minute, it’s one that has been on regular rotation at our satellite office here in the Bay Area.
I’ve been lucky to have a pretty storied history with this fellow; he’s one of those DJ cool kids that has gained a beloved standing with a lot of the scene kids and DJ’s who have had the chance to grace the annals of this publications. I’d go as far as saying that this kid (among others in his immediate crew), is like a baby Gilles Peterson in training.
The mix itself lives up to its name, Grey Areas. The sound is genre-bending and despite the classifications listed on the cover, there is a lot more going on under the hood. Think of this piece as an everyday soundtrack, or something that could serve to gear up for the weekend — the calm before the storm per se.
Literally, rediscovering the link on my FB feed, I felt that the eclectic sound collage presented herein, was more than worth the trouble of getting a post up and getting his listenership up.
Don’t take my word for it, peep the track list and the mix below.
01. 123mrk “pleasure” [infinite machine]
02. disclosure “i love… that you know” [transparent]
03. ifan dafydd “treehouse” [push & run]
04. james blake “buzzard & kestrel” [hessle audio]
05. lorca “moments” [live ones]
06. bruises “would you” [infinite machine]
07. dauwd “what’s there” [pictures]
08. damu “mermaid” [local action]
09. chaos in the cbd “something you got” [youngunz]
10. didz & chico “something new” [ten thousand yen]
11. maddslinky ft. tawiah “further away” (album version) [tru thoughts]
12. kay suzuki “move on” [round in motion]
13. fantastic mr fox “over” [blackacre]
14. hudson mohawke “thank you” [warp]
15. s-x “bricks” (instrumental) [s-x beats]